Skip to main content

How Not to Make an Audience Care

I recently watched Thor: Ragnarok, the latest in Marvel's seemingly endless torrent of superhero comedy/action movies. While I generally enjoyed it (at least compared to other films in the same genre), I found myself rather bored during many of the scenes which were intended to be the most dramatic. The movie puts an enormous amount of effort into epic music, gratuitous explosions, and intricately animated fight sequences, but many of its action scenes just felt like something to be waited through until something more interesting happened. In fact, I think you could cut out a solid 10 minutes of absurdly acrobatic duels and massacring of minions and the film would't actually lose anything of value.

Now, I should say that I am not bored by all action scenes. For example, Mad Max: Fury Road managed managed to keep me on the edge of my seat, and that movie is probably around 50% giant explosions. So what exactly did Thor: Ragnarok lack? After a fair amount of thought, I have come to the following conclusion: the action scenes weren't engaging because I didn't actually care what happened. For all of its special effects, the movie wasn't able to get me invested in what was going on. I didn't feel a connection with any of the characters, the plot wasn't atypical enough to intrigue me, and there wasn't really any dramatic tension. After all, it's not like Marvel is going to allow one of their protagonists to lose in the end, much less actually die. 

This flaw in Thor: Ragnarok is made even worse by the fact that it is entirely possible to have extremely dramatic action scenes with the simplest of visuals, as long as the viewer actually cares. The webcomic Order of the Stick is a perfect example of this. It is a parody of Dungeons & Dragons/fantasy adventure drawn entirely in stick figures which still manages to be more exciting than any Marvel movie I've seen. This is due to a myriad of factors, foremost among them a genuinely well-written and unconventional plot, nuanced characters, and a real willingness on the part of the author to have the heroes lose, often quite badly. The plotline which runs from strip 623 to 663 is a particularly strong example of how action can be dramatic without extravagant special effects.













In the end, the viewer's enjoyment of action in any entertainment media is not dependent on the visuals with which it is portrayed, but rather on the interest they have in the characters and the situation. While it is unfortunately extremely unlikely that this will actually occur, I do hope that eventually Marvel realizes that story and characters are more important to the drama of a scene than grand spectacles of computer-generated destruction.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Do We Really Want the Trump Administration Censoring the Media?

MissRepresentation was an excellent documentary. Before watching it, I was already aware of many of the problems with the representation of women in media which it illuminates, but I was still impressed at how comprehensive and powerful its argument was. However, I disagree with the film on one major point: I do not think that media content should be further regulated by the government or any other organization, even with the purpose of reducing the objectification of women. To see why this kind of regulation could be so problematic, it is helpful to look at the history of media censorship in the United States. From 1930 to 1968, almost all American movies were produced under the  Motion Picture Production Code , a set of rules governing what could be shown onscreen. The rules were intended to safeguard public virtue by eliminating immoral content from the media and were created by the film industry itself to preempt government regulation. While the idea of such a code may seem l...

A Song of Ice and Fire: Storytelling as Worldbuilding

This post is part of a series which I hope to write in the relatively near future, documenting pieces of entertainment media which I currently view as significant influences on the way I view what makes a story good. Beyond simply serving as writing practice, the purpose of these is largely so that in future years I can look back and laugh at the things I thought were so important when I was in high school (or be shocked by my prognosticative powers, I suppose, though that seems less likely). I'm putting the series here for the moment because it fits in fairly well with some of the media blog posts I did for Mr. Starace and doing so reduces the number of places I'll need to look to find my past writings in the future. Anyway, on to A Song of Ice and Fire (which [just in case someone else is reading this] is the low-magic fantasy epic by George R. R. Martin which was adapted into the HBO show Game of Thrones. ) The primary reason why A Song of Ice and Fire (which I will hence...

Why You Should Watch Steven Universe

(Originally written for the McClatchy High School Feminist Coalition zine) In the first episode of Steven Universe , the primary conflict faced by the titular character is that his favorite brand of ice cream sandwich has been discontinued. By the most recent, he and his allies are confronting the ruthless dictator of a galaxy-spanning empire. Along the way, the show demonstrates creative animation, intricate worldbuilding, deeply complex characters, excellent music, and the best plot twists I have ever encountered. However, Steven Universe may be most innovative in how it approaches gender. The show’s high proportion of female characters is the most obvious manifestation of this, but even its male characters usually invert or critique conventionally gendered expectations. Before delving into those subversions, a summary of the show’s premise: Steven Universe is a Cartoon Network show created by Rebecca Sugar about a group of magical aliens called the Crystal Gems who defend ...